To Store or Not to Store?
Katie Micik DTN Markets Editor
Mon Nov 30, 2015 01:35 PM CST

OMAHA (DTN) -- To store or not to store? That's the question farmers need to put more thought and management into, according to South Dakota farmer and broker Tregg Cronin.

The grain bin building boom has made the answer seem almost predetermined: Of course farmers are going to use the shiny circles of steel they've invested so heavily in.

Cronin thinks the "set it and forget it" approach -- putting corn in the bin and not thinking about it again until spring -- can be incredibly costly.

"We have to get away from that," he said.

Farmers first need to ...

Quick View
  • One Tool Down Cotton and sorghum growers will face limited options for 2016 pest control after the EPA cancelle...
  • Show-Me Sales Even with prices down from the spring, commercial bred heifers made a strong showing at the Novem...
  • Blender Pump Push A partnership between USDA and states and private companies is set to nearly double the number of...
  • Landmark Illinois Sale Agriculture's first cropland REIT acquired 120 Illinois farms in a single record-breaking purchas...
  • Kansas Water Challenge With a continued Kansas drawdown on the Ogallala Aquifer, state officials Wednesday outlined some...
  • Crop Insurers Fight Cut The federal crop insurance program goal of a 14.5% targeted rate of return, which would be cut un...
  • To Store or Not to Store? Many farmers put their 2015 crop in the bin and shut the door, but farmer and broker Tregg Cronin...
  • Saving Money The man who bagged 120 Illinois farms last week reflects on the future of ag REITs and why cash r...
  • Ask the Vet Setting up the right mineral program for the herd starts with the basics.
Related News Stories
Ask the Taxman by Andy Biebl
Saving Money
Woodbury: Farm Family Business
Russ' Vintage Iron
The Charolais Edge
Biodiesel Presses Congress
Farmland's Elephant Hunter
FDA: Biotech Labels Not Needed
View From the Cab
More Beans in the Bin