NEWS
Thu Dec 19, 2013 04:46 PM CST

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) -- New Mexico's top prosecutor filed a lawsuit Thursday in state district court in an attempt to block a planned horse slaughter plant from opening in less than two weeks.

The move by Attorney General Gary King comes after a federal appeals court rolled back a court order that had kept Valley Meat Co. from starting operations earlier this fall. Owner Rick De Los Santos has been making plans to open Jan. 1, and his attorney said Thursday that those plans haven't changed.

Attorney Blair Dunn called King's lawsuit frivolous and a waste of taxpayer money. Under ...

Quick View
  • The New Dicamba At an event exhibiting the company's soon-to-arrive Dicamba-tolerant soybean trait, Monsanto repr...
  • Rates Too Low Too Long Discounted interest rates have led to unintended consequences in land values, a shortage of funds...
  • Center Pivots Take a Beating Severe storms in mid-June have damaged hundreds of center pivot irrigation systems in Nebraska al...
  • "Easy Money Times Over" Feeding the world population won't be as hard as expected over the next decade some experts forec...
  • A Hunger for High-Tech The Gruhlkey brothers of Wildorado, Texas, are using technology and thoughtful cropping choices t...
  • Clearing the Air EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy told a group of agribusiness representatives that her agency want...
  • No More Outlaw Vets Veterinarians can start breathing a little easier now when they go to work, without the fear that...
  • Ask the Vet My vet diagnosed anaplaz and I've never heard of that.
Related News Stories
Ag Policy Blog
Senators Meet with McCarthy
Washington Insider -- Wednesday
Washington Insider -- Tuesday
Ag Policy Blog
Washington Insider
Washington Insider -- Monday
Vilsack Visits Drought-Hit California
McCarthy Talks CWA
Conservation Groups Defend Water Rule