NEWS
Draining the Ogallala
Tue Aug 27, 2013 01:23 PM CDT

OMAHA (DTN) -- A new study on future depletion of the Ogallala issued some dire predictions for the heavily-tapped aquifer, which supplies one-third of the nation's irrigated groundwater.

The Kansas State University study announced that in Kansas, 30% of the aquifer (referred to in the study as the High Plains aquifer), has been depleted already. At current rates, researchers predicted that an additional 39% would be depleted by 2060 -- for a total loss of 69% of the aquifer in just 50 years.

The study was released just as DTN's series on "Stretching the ...

Quick View
  • Stay on Top of SDS The distinctive yellow patches of sudden death syndrome (SDS) are surfacing in soybean fields acr...
  • Cattle Market There may be a little less bull in this fall's calf market, but the fundamentals still spell oppo...
  • Precision Ag Potential Pending Precision agriculture proponents insist the industry can revolutionize agriculture, but first mor...
  • Cash Rent Reset - 2 Iowa farmland owners Fred and Lodean Cook may consider flexible cash leases for the first time th...
  • Iowa Land Gets a Bounce Key Midwest land values are stuck in neutral or sliding below 2014 levels, recently released opin...
  • Canadian Dairy Conundrum Coping with Canada's dairy industry import tariffs and supply controls remains one of the stickin...
  • Senior Partners - 5 This fatherly financial advice is meant to prevent heartaches should the farm economy suffer anot...
  • Ask the Taxman by Andy Biebl CPA Andy Biebl answers readers' questions on depreciation recapture, defining a "true" lease and ...
  • Ask the Vet Does my calf have a hernia and is it repairable?
Related News Stories
National Injunction Argued
Ozone Standard Questioned
Washington Insider
Washington Insider--Wednesday
California Drought Challenges
Activists Targeting Biotech
Ag Policy Blog
Washington Insider - Tuesday
Ag Policy Blog
Washington Insider - Monday