Ask the Vet
Mon Sep 8, 2014 10:52 AM CDT
It's important to handle the sale of animals treated with long-withdrawal products in a responsible, up-front manner. (DTN/Progressive Farmer photo by Becky Mills)

QUESTION: What do I need to do if I treat a calf, cow or bull with a wormer or an antibiotic that has a long withdrawal time and then I sell the animal to another producer?

ANSWER: You cannot offer an animal for sale to the general public until it has met the withdrawal time. I am not sure there is a strict legal answer to your question, so I will defer to common sense and the opinions of several other veterinarians with whom I consulted. They and I feel you can legally sell the animal to another individual if you fully disclose the current withdrawal status. This should be in writing, signed by both parties, and both parties to the sale should keep a copy. In this way, you have transferred the liability for meeting the withdrawal time to the new owner.


Related News Stories
(none currently available)