MARKETS NEWS
Jerry Gulke DTN Columnist
Mon Apr 8, 2013 07:00 AM CDT

A recent poll indicated over 53% of producers had no 2013 corn sold (hedged or cash contracted). Of the remaining 47% of those polled, 23% had less than 11% sold and 24% had 25% sold. An unscientific guess would be that less than 15% of the expected corn crop has been sold.

There are probably three categories into which most of those polled fall.

The first category consists of those who did nothing last year, choosing to watch prices drop into June (similar to what has been happening so far this year) only to see the much advertised prospects for ...

Quick View
  • Is Your Burndown Working? A cool, wet spring and the spread of herbicide-resistant weeds mean farmers should take the extra...
  • Gains on Covers It took Jerry Doan several years and a lot of trials, but the North Dakota beef producer has lear...
  • Side-by-Sides and Cool Helmets Side-by-side manufactures continue to roll out new machines and machine updates. Here are two more.
  • Stress Test for Borrowers Farm finances rate an "A" now, but economists debate if that's good enough to handle a major corr...
  • Senators Question EPA A group of U.S. senators Wednesday told President Barack Obama that his administration has not fo...
  • Climate Work Ahead at USDA Ag Secretary Tom Vilsack spoke about GOP complaints regarding the Obama administration's work wit...
  • Full-Circle Farming Bill Couser sees farming as a full circle. If it comes off the farm, it can go back into the farm.
  • Making the Grade What if corn isn't cheap the next five years? Fickle price projections can sway farm bill choices.
  • Ask the Vet What's my best bet for fly control?
Related News Stories
DTN Midday Livestock Comments
DTN's Quick Takes
DTN Midday Grain Comments
DTN Before The Bell Grain Comments
DTN Early Word Opening Livestock
DTN Early Word Grains
DTN Closing Grain Comments
DTN Midday Livestock Comments
DTN Midday Grain Comments
DTN Before The Bell Grain Comments