FARM BUSINESS NEWS
CFTC Rule Disappoints Ag Groups
Katie Micik DTN Markets Editor
Fri Nov 1, 2013 10:59 AM CDT

OMAHA (DTN) -- It's a bittersweet two-year anniversary of MF Global's bankruptcy.

Customers have 98% of their money back, and a court will consider releasing the remaining 2% next week, a small victory for some who thought their money was gone for good.

The CFTC this week also passed a rule designed to enhance protections of segregated customer funds.

The bitter part: Those changes, critics say, could make it more expensive for grain market participants to use commodity markets to hedge risk.

"The irony of yesterday's vote is that a significant and diverse customer group -- America's farmers, ranchers and ...

Quick View
  • Prepping for a Pest USDA has released a new set of pest response guidelines for Helicoverpa armigera, the voracious g...
  • Racing the Clock For Brian Marshall, the clock starts the minute a new calf hits the ground. Within the first four...
  • Hay Baling Safety Important Looking at it as a sporting event, mid-July is the halftime of the hay baling season in most of t...
  • Study Your Farm Bill Options Feeding the world population won't be as hard as expected over the next decade some experts forec...
  • Weathering the Drought Parts of the panhandle and western Oklahoma are still considered as being in extreme or exception...
  • Clearing the Air EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy told a group of agribusiness representatives that her agency want...
  • Klinefelter: By the Numbers Peak prices since 2007 didn't slow megafarm consolidation. Mid-size operators may need to collabo...
  • Corn's Hidden Highways Scientists are rewriting the route to better hybrids.
  • Ask the Vet Before implanting heifers that will be bred, consult with a veterinarian to be sure fertility won...
Related News Stories
DTN Technically Speaking Blog
Technically Speaking Blog
DTN Closing Grain Comments
DTN's Quick Takes
DTN Midday Livestock Comments
DTN Midday Grain Comments
DTN Before The Bell Grain Comments
DTN Early Word Opening Livestock
DTN Early Word Grains
DTN Closing Grain Comments