FARM BUSINESS NEWS
View From the Cab
Tue Sep 3, 2013 01:37 PM CDT

LANGDON, Mo. (DTN) -- Close to 90% of colonial Americans were farmers in early days, when grow your own survival was the law of the land. Now that America relies on a meager 2% of our total population for food production, DTN View From the Cab farmers Kane Bercaw of Union City, Mich., and William "Shep" Sheppard of Louisiana, Mo., go the extra mile for the other 98%.

Food production in the temperate Heartland takes place during a few weeks each year when rain and temperatures favor growing crops. For Kane, that means setting ...

Quick View
  • Back to Beans Growers considering moving a field from continuous corn back into soybeans should pay special att...
  • The Attraction of Youth Combine genotyping with a yearling bull, or even a weanling, and you're less likely to make a poo...
  • Kubota Steps Up A new mid-range, high-horsepower M7 tractor moves this company into the row-crop arena.
  • SCO Sticker Shock Costs and potential disconnect with county yields make the Supplemental Coverage Option a hard se...
  • Clean Water Goes a Long Way Cleaning up 900 feet of a small creek in Kentucky brings rebirth to water once choked with sedime...
  • Clean Air Lawsuits Filed Several environmental and animal-welfare groups argue in two lawsuits that there is well-document...
  • Ag and Environment Outlook Agriculture continues to watch how the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency implements the propos...
  • Surgery on Plastics Dharma Kodali's goal is to insert soybean oil in the basic ingredient list for PVC plastics.
  • Ask the Vet How should I treat a cow with a swelling on her flank?
Related News Stories
US Gov Steps Into Port Labor Dispute
Woodbury: Family Business Matters
Farmworkers Back Obama Order
Vilsack: Exec Order Creates Stability
Immigration Order Shortfalls
Obama to Speak on Immigration
Push to Protect Immigrant Farm Workers